Saturday, February 5, 2011

Crash Coffee

Got for free from Starbucks and used once in a blue moon

Making coffee using percolator or even more complicated machines - those expensive Italian capuccino machines - is not my cup of tea (pun intended). I like my stuff simple. I prefer kopi tubruk (crash coffee, literally translated).

I pour coarsely ground coffee and piping hot water onto my cup. Put sugar or milk and stir. Kopi tubruk is ready to serve in < 1 minute with a minimum utensil and dishwashing after that.

Having ground coffee float at the top also helps decide when I can drink my coffee. When the float sinks to the bottom, it is time to drink. Not too hot, just the way I like it.

I like loose leaf tea as well, especially Japanese genmai cha (brown rice tea), although I prefer Earl Grey tea when drinking tea with sugar.

I still don't get it though why coffee making should be as complicated as it is today. Tea is a lot simpler. I often use tea to wash my camping bowl when camping; I drink the tea and the bowl is clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment