Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Walk Slowly


I often remind myself to walk slowly. As I walked back to my office from gym today, I felt good. Meeting a couple of colleagues there and checking whether I am still fit. I met several students who were diligently exercising. Note to self: If they complain about difficult courses I teach, remind them that they need to work as hard as they do in the gym.

I even paid attention to textures of buildings I passed along the way. Grey concrete corners now greeted me. Even symmetric pavement stones did not forget me. Often silent tree branches and twigs waved me by. I felt the quiet campus atmosphere: lectures ended last week and students must be busy studying now for final exams. The –15 C cold air did not feel as cold. These in-the-moment sensations filled me. When I walked slowly.

I often wondered why I had to walk fast. As if I was the most important person in the world. As if. I hardly save any moment by walking fast. It is when I sit and think that count, not when I walk.

The moments between sitting are precious. I walk slowly to reconnect with those around me. To walk slowly is divine. It is graceful and beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. rief, beautiful and perfect use of personification... I love most your second paragraph... inspiring as well... as you do, I myself never realize that I lost many moments of digesting the surrounding by walking fast or being in hurry... appreciate so much for bringing this up as a note, as this simple idea turns to be the inspiring contemplation!. waiting for your other inspiring note :) Jani P. Jasfin.

    ReplyDelete