Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Spending Control



The urge to write this blog came up when my wife and I were doing early spring cleaning and realized how much stuff we bought despite the efforts to minimize them. I need to remind myself.

I figure sometime ago that spending control is more important than saving plan. On practical level, saving plan is not realistic since it makes me starved. In contrast, spending control teaches me to learn who I am.

My other argument for this spending-control strategy is that whatever I buy is likely worth nothing after the purchase. To test that theory, you can go to IKEA to buy the sofa you've been dreaming about and try to sell it on Calgary Kijiji - a free online marketplace - for the same purchase price, and see if there is someone interested in buying.

As a result, I don't buy clothes unless I need to replace ones that are completely worn out. I keep only two pairs of shoes - one for running, the other for work. I don't wear a wristwatch anymore since my cellphone tells time. My prescription glasses were bought 16 years ago and I still wear them.

I learned the hard way. I bought a new car 9 years ago and learned that it was difficult to sell it one year later when I needed money. The satisfaction of owning a new car also wore out very quickly for me. I never liked forking out $450 every month for the next 5 years. I realized then that I was poor and not cut out for expensive stuff. I told myself that I would never buy a new car again since any new car depreciates very fast.

I am also motivated by my life philosophy. Less is more. My dream is to fit all my clothing and personal amenities in one backpack, and I am still working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment