Monday, July 30, 2012

Crunchy Sea Kelp

Sea kelp not far off Tofino coast
1. Sea kelp is edible. My kayak guide told me such and I ate it raw while sea kayaking. I ended up finishing a whole long leaf. It tastes crunchy and the salty ocean water enhances its flavor. I worried my stomach couldn't handle it though, which was not funny if I had to go on a kayak. Luckily I never had to do that out in the open or inside the kayak hole, LOL!

Never cook too hard, even when boiling eggs
2. We never bring a lot for cooking on our road trip. We keep it simple and don't cook complicated Indonesian dishes. I bring my small MSR stove and have no wish to impress our campsite neighbors. We bring packaged food and it is ready in 30 minutes max, since we always come back hungry after a day long activity.

The driving is long, but it's all for the family
3. Road trip is a hard work for the driver. I clocked in on average 500 km/day for 7 days. My wife and I cook for breakfast and after that I would drive to wherever we want to go. Traveling with kids is challenging since we have to maintain their focus and ease at the same time. Vacationing at home - watching teve or sending them for sport programs - is an easier option.

Is that a Buddha or Jabba the Hutt?
4. Get ready to discover a new experience or a family squabble during a road trip. It's normal to squabble over soft pasta and wet towel. Whoever initiates it needs not be reciprocated. The wonderful payback is the new discovery that is guaranteed to occur. My 9-year old son, for example, really enjoyed his first spelunking (cave exploring). I always appreciate this memorable moment. If you haven't got one, it could be you haven't come out of your comfort zone.

Don't wake us up until food is ready, Dad!
5. Camping is a cheap accomodation alternative for a family. Magically, camping is more memorable over a hotel, hostel, or a cabin stay. My sons always remember our camping trips 5-6 years ago much better than our hotel stays. They remember stories about early morning tea, cold nights, night walks to outhouse, or campfire. Camping is simple: tent, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, small stove, simple food cooked with water. These uncomfortable elements I think are what create the magic. It's what makes a road trip worth while.

3 comments:

  1. Salam kenal, Cak. Mugo2 jik eling coro jowo. SMA ku tonggo mburi SMA mu, jadi konco2ne kene relatif akeh sing podo.
    Gak nyang Watu Koneng (Yellow Stone) ? Lek mrono tulisen yo.
    tjahja junindra (sepurone avatarku dudu fotoku)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jik iso coro Jowo lah ... But in the interest of wider audience, I will reply it in English. I've been to Yellowstone twice, but at that time I didn't have a blog. It's not that far from Calgary where we live, about 1000 km.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im a die hard karl may fans. i wonder if someday i could spend several days tracking in yellowstone. at this time being i will try ranukumbolo instead.
    *) english ku jarang digawe, wes gak patio muni kecuali lisan dicampur bahasa tarzan

    ReplyDelete