Sunday, January 23, 2011

Running for My Life

Hiking trail near Rockbound Lake, Alberta


I try to at least run once a week when things get hectic. It is better to run three times a week as it helps maintain habit. A once-a-week habit can be cruel to my body: it aches all over in the first 20 minutes.

One thing I really enjoy doing when running is emptying my mind. I don't listen to iPod when running so I can hear my rueful breathing. Huffing, puffing, and all. The beauty of it though is that the huffing and puffing focuses my mind and at the same time relaxes it. Actually I don't need to do anything; my mind just on its own relaxes and focuses on the pain I feel every step.

Anyway, in that state of mind, I always get reminded that I can only do what my mind and body can deliver optimally. Nothing more. It does not matter anymore what people see and think because I am alone running and cannot pretend I can run faster than I can. Running - as it turns out - teaches me how to maintain endurance in this game of life.

There is no need to be faster or slower since, if I pretend, it will catch up to me one way or another. So I don't envy when I see people can run faster. He must either train harder or has a better genetic material. Running teaches me not to envy what other people have and can do. Running teaches me to be happy with myself.

Running is a simple activity and gives me a lot of pleasure. I don't need to spend a lot of money to have tons of fun. Sure, I sweat a lot but those endorphins do wonder to my brain. The longer I run the less pain I feel. They also make me feel happy even if I am dog tired.

I like running since I don't have to win or lose. I am not happy when I become slower, but I like the steady pace I make. Trudging along the path. Slow meditative steps I make. It suits me just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment