Sunday, May 12, 2013

London's Cheap Eats


There are many great places to eat in London – for sure – but I am cheap so I never have fancy expensive meals unless someone else pays them. I stick my nose close to the ground and experiment with cheap places to eat. Having said that, I never plan my trip to any city with restaurants as trip anchors either.

London has many Lebanese-style kebab eateries. They are not fancy: wall ledges to place plates and eat while standing and 3-4 chairs and a table if lucky. But no matter; a great and cheap food tastes good regardless. When I feel hungry, I am bound to find a kebab eatery nearby. 

And did I find a great one! It is located on 1A Great Eastern Street, at the southwest corner of Shoreditch High Street and Great Eastern St., about 5 minute walk northbound from the Liverpool St. Tube station. I was in this East London neighborhood to check out the Brick Lane and Curtain Rd. where some vintage clothing stores and artisan coffee shops are located.


The Lebanese eatery is called Corner Savoy and I went there twice in a week. The first time they charged me £7 for rice, chicken shawarma, salad, hummus, and garlic dressing. They were surprised at my request and came up with the price since it is not on the menu. But it was not disappointing at all. The chicken shawarma is juicy, and the hummus, the dressing, and especially the salad are wonderfully fresh.


The second lunch time I was there I didn't have breakfast. Mido, the Egyptian staff who served and was busy preparing a chicken shawarma, charged me £6 for the meal I had the first time. Maybe partly because I told him I took subway all they way from South London for a repeat. He and his friend laughed, and his friend told me Mido (photo below) and the eatery are famous for their shawarma in the neighborhood. I told him I was from Canada and he said he would set up a business in Canada someday. Without breakfast, I ordered another shawarma, this time smaller, lamb no less, with falafels. An excellent meal for £3; the total damage was £10 with a bottled water.


The second place I went to has even lower meal prices. Maybe for that reason, it is called Happy Family :), a Chinese and Oriental eatery on 311 Kennington Road, about 10 minutes north of the Oval tube station on Clapham Rd. and Camberwell New Rd. in South London. It has 4 school benches to sit and the place is simple but quiet. I like that.

I ordered beef chow mein in my first visit for £3.60. I stayed at a bed & breakfast through www.airbnb.com on Southey Road off Brixton Rd. I walk for about 20 minutes along Brixton Rd and then Kennington Rd. to get to meet my Happy Family. A good walk and I am usually hungry when I get there, lol!


The food is very good – not great – but I like also the old chap who waits on the counter. He is British, so I wasn't sure if he would be willing to be photographed, so I didn't ask (regret, ugh!). He was watching a science program on teve about space travel when I went there for the second time. Very proper and I enjoyed his company. We talked about teleportation and black hole while I enjoyed my food. This time it was beef in black bean sauce for £4.20 and wan ton soup for £2.40. I know: I splurged a bit, lol!

I always hold dear eateries like them. Mom-and-Pop operations with gracious open services. They color my days. I always remember them. They represent the city they live in, and I have to say I really like London!

No comments:

Post a Comment