Friday, April 22, 2011

Why Mission Needed?

A: That's a good question. Let me try to answer that. I wouldn't dream any mission in life - I am certain - if I didn't have education. I would be happy doing the 9-to-5 thing, watching games and shows on teve, going shopping, going to sleep, waking up, and going on like that for the next 20 years. My world would be a happier place without education ... A funny thing to say, come to think of it.

Q: Education sucks then, it ruins the party, eh?

A: When people say 'ignorance is bliss', they don't bullshit. Educated society demands a lot of things, which makes me wonder why Canadian political election has always been about health care ...

Q: But isn't it trite to say your life needs a mission? I mean, everyone has a mission in his life.

A: Well, there are obligations, you know ... duties, then there are life missions. The fact that my wife and I are raising my kids and making sure they grow up well is not my life mission. It is my duty since no one else is willing to do it.

Q: And how about mission?

A: Mission is what I elect to do. I can choose not to do it, but I decided to do it. It becomes a mission. Thing I have to do because I want to do it. It starts with a desire and ends with a decision to do something.

Q: Wait a minute, ... so having kids can be a mission then? Right?

A: Yes, you can decide to have 20 kids as your life mission, for example. Let's see whether you'll like it, huh!

Q: But why do you need a mission?

A: The short answer is that I can't stand routine stuff. It's supremely boring and could define what a hell is for me. The long answer goes back to the idea of education. That once it opens me to the world of ideas, it is hard to go back and pretend life is only about what to eat and buy for today or tomorrow.

Q: Not only you're melancholic, but incurably romantic as well.

A: I am. I accept it as who I am.

Q: So, what's your mission?

A: I want to travel the world, to be alone at the mountain peak and to meet people everywhere. I want to have my own business. Be my own boss and take care of people who work for me. Take care of people I love. That would be great! That's my mission.

Q: I do too. I feel what you say. I like the people I meet at work, but I hate my job. It becomes stale and too routine. I agree having my own business will give constant challenges.

A: I don't think it would get easier with owning a business - being an employee is actually easier - but I need challenges.

Q: What kind of business?

A: It has to be something I am really good at. Not just any business, opening a restaurant or a bar. It is not about money only. It is about meshing things I want to do with things I am good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment