Friday, December 31, 2010

Sense of Touch

Mount Chester, Kananaskis, Alberta 
My friend confided to me that he missed his family. As I dug deeper, he further confided he missed his wife more. Out of our five senses, we take the sense of touch for granted. We use our eyes and ears to the point of excess. Our nose is so used to artificial smells, perfume and all, it cannot tell which ones aren't. Our sense of taste is also overused and leads to obesity.

We touch each others, among friends, when we shake hands. We only do that when we introduce ourselves though; otherwise, why call ourselves friends? We maintain distance when we speak. Out of respect. After all, so much space in this country. To pat one's head is considered rude. Worse, to touch one's body can be considered a harassment. It is a valid reason, but what happens is we get an overloading from the four senses: sight, sound, smell, and taste but very little from touch.

To me the sense of touch is a proof human is a social being. We depend on others for this pleasure. Unlike the other four. I can go hiking in the backcountry for a week and indulge myself, feasting on wonderful sight, sound, smell of backcountry. Relishing on the simple food I cook myself. But eventually I miss my wife. I in fact envy when watching a couple doing hiking together and spending their time in backcountry. It must be heaven for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment