Saturday, June 22, 2019

Long Haul Motorcycling Tips in North America



These tips are a summary of what we have covered about 3000 km between Calgary and Vernon, TX in 5 days riding. To achieve daily riding condition without feeling fatigue, I have several tips based on my riding perspective, which is a two-up riding (rider and passenger) and combined goals of reasonable comfort and distance. These tips may be most appropriate for a multi-day trip in North America in the summer. Conditions outside North America may modify these tips due to accommodation, food availability, and gas station location.

First, motorcycling is a lot of work. We start from 8 am in the morning and finish at 5 pm in the evening. It's possible to achieve an average speed of 100 km per hour (62 miles per hour) on highway so that a 600 km distance in a day is within a reach. That leaves 3 hours for the stops along the way: pitstops to washroom (i.e., rest room in the US), lunch stop, refueling stops. These stops are best designed to coincide with the refueling distance, which is determined by the volume of the gasoline tank of my motorcycle. Another important variable to determine the average stop time is the average distance I can cover in one stage.

I feel most comfortable when riding 2 to 3 hours maximum in one stage. This puts the average distance interval per stage to 200 to 300 km. My motorcycle can reach a maximum of 300 to 350 km without refueling, so my distance covered per stage is more limited by my physical limits. So, the pitstops and lunch stop should be timed accordingly. Spicy food is a no-no during riding for me, as a result. The 300 km riding is usually achieved when I feel good and either scarcity of gas stations along a route and/or good weather accompany me.

It's important to know your physical limits. For example, my ideal ambient temperature is between 15 and 25 degree C. Either colder or hotter temperature will reduce my travel distance per stage. I have experienced combined rainy, freezing temperature, really hard crosswind conditions. Crosswinds may not reduce distance travelled if they occur in burst, but a non-stop two-hour crosswind will wear me down. Rain is more serious; it will reduce the speed by 20-30%, which for highway riding is therefore not safe due to presence of other vehicles.

I always take easy with stops along the way. It's okay to have a 1-hour lunch stop. I get to relax and enjoy my lunch. A two-up configuration means I have to allow for the passenger to enjoy the time too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment