Saturday, July 25, 2015

15000 Kilometer Perspective


I got my BMW F700GS last year and have accumulated 15,000 km so far. If I still like my bike after these kilometres, I suppose I can say that the motorcycle I got is the one I need. Of course, it goes for any motorcycle owner who still loves his bike after riding such distance.

There are many different motorcycle types: cruiser, bagger, street, naked, touring, adventure touring, dirt, scooter, chopper, and probably more. Unlike cars, motorcycles are very personal since both rider and motorcycle are visible to anyone. A big motorcycle will not suit a short-stature person, and vice versa. A street bike doesn't work for someone who wants to ride mainly on gravel roads, and so on. What I want to do therefore is to outline advantages I feel when owning my motorcycle. It's therefore not a comparison to other motorcycle types and brand names.

1. Versatility. I can ride at 140 km/h two-up on a highway with little difficulty since it has a maximum of 75 hp with a rated top speed of 192 km/h. I haven't come across a situation in which I needed to ride above 150 km/h. I ride everyday to work and it's agile enough in city traffic. I can ride two-up confidently in gravel roads with its not-so-aggresive tire treads and comfortably in highways covering 700+ km per day in rainy or windy days. Suspension travel and ground clearance are at their optimum level between the extremes of dirt bike and bagger.

2. Ride Tech Features. I find three tech features extremely useful: tire pressure monitor, gear indicator, and electronic fuel gauge. I had one flat tire experience on a highway and the tire pressure monitor quickly alerted me that the rear tire was losing pressure. The alert helped me decide a quick u-turn and reach a nearby town before a complete pressure collapse in the middle of nowhere. Gear indicator is absolutely necessary to reduce worry level during riding. Gear indicator is great for city commuting with all those traffic light stops. Electronic fuel gauge helps plan a long touring day and often gives assurance when I have to eat up more kilometres to find a place to sleep.

3. Fuel Economy. I am very happy with its 60 mpg fuel economy. Motorcycling is more risky and less comfortable than driving a car, so it doesn't make sense to me if I pay the same gasoline price for either. Instead of paying $80 to cover 1000 km distance when driving, F700GS allows me to pay $40 even with a passenger.

I used to wanting to get other motorcycles for their looks, sounds, or horsepowers. But I have learned that I am quite happy with what I got. Although I admit the one motorcycle I really want to test ride is Honda Africa Twin.

No comments:

Post a Comment