Sunday, July 3, 2016

Childress, TX - Albuquerque, NM Motorcycling

Welcome to New Mexico gate at the I-40 westbound as we crossed from Texas.
60. We felt a great relief leaving Texas scorching 39 degree C weather when we entered New Mexico on I-40 westbound on Saturday, July 2. The temperature drops to around 28 degree C. But it wasn't without a trade off. The route along Route 287 and then I-40, between Claude, TX and Santa Rosa, NM, which is about 320 km, is the windiest corridor I've ever experienced. It feels at times windier than the Crowsnest Pass on Highway 3 at the Alberta - BC border. North of the I-40 corridor between Amarillo and Texas - New Mexico border, there are literally hundreds - if not thousands - of wind turbines. We covered about 640 km from Childress, TX to Albuquerque, NM.

61. While the crosswind direction is consistently one-directional between Claude and the Texas - New Mexico border, the crosswind direction is random between the border and Albuquerque. We stopped for lunch in Tucumcari, at the Love's Travel Shop to get our favorite fried chicken and baked beans, and for refueling after a straight 182 km ride from Amarillo. I thought the stop would energize me to ride all the way to Albuquerque, but it turned out not to be the case. We stopped again in Santa Rosa, a mere 96 km from Tucumcari, because I was tired from the random crosswind. I used this second stop to refuel and relax, since there was still 185 km from Santa Rosa to Albuquerque.

62. I learned so much from our motorcycling trip. It teaches me fortitude and humility. Every night we get to plan our next day ride (about 600 km). I check weather report, route plan, and more importantly prepare mentally for the ride ahead. If the motorcycle is in good condition, then the next critical thing is to have a mental fortitude to handle all conditions and uncertainties on the road. The need to adjust the ride distance according to these conditions erases any cockiness that may come from the safe mileage we have accumulated. Bravado on the road can lead to unsafe riding, which quite possibly leads to fatality. I submit that a quiet, determined mind is the only attitude that can save me. Most experienced travellers in fact develop this attitude regardless of transportation means; they're quite often never the loud and giggly type on the road.

63. It was in New Mexico when I first saw a person casually carrying a gun in a holster, having his meal in a restaurant. He's not a police nor a security guard, so this was my first concealed weapons example. I think there is a correlation between politeness and concealed weapons law. People we meet on the road are very polite to each other and give a clear impression not wanting to meddle with someone else's business. This behavior is uniform across the western states we've visited so far: Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas. I would add that Alberta is no difference. I like the western sense and sensibility; we are polite, reserved, and down-to-earth.

64. We're not the only "crazy" motorcyclists that go long distance. I met two guys in our motel in Childress, who rode from Florida to Glacier National Park, and back. I met a quiet guy with clear tanned lines of riding without a full-face helmet from Albuquerque to Chicago, and back.

65. Albuquerque is a beautiful city. It is dotted with many hills at its eastern end. The hills are filled with small trees that form almost a lattice. The city and surrounding area must receive enough rain to sustain these trees. The I-40 westbound turns into a long descent into the city. We saw houses perched above many hills.

Though rain poses a greater riding challenge, severe crosswind comes close second. One easy way to tell a severe crosswind area is to see wind turbines along the way. Get ready to adjust riding stance to ensure the bike is moving smoothly under severe crosswind.

No comments:

Post a Comment