Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Bowl



I love my stainless steel bowl. I always carry it when backpacking in the Canadian Rockies. I use it as a plate and a mug – in that order so that often I don't have to wash it after a meal. I use it to eat cereal in the morning and drink water. I use it as a mug for tea when my Japanese ceramics mug seems too small for my thirst. The stainless steel material keeps it sturdy and easy to clean. The bowl and a spork (spoon-fork) are the only kitchen utensils I need.

It seems the bowl has additional use in Indonesia. Food is excellent here and my appetite is even better, so I have to watch out for overeating. This bowl helps me ration what I need to eat. At least, that's the theory. If you are struggling with controlling your weight, you might consider carrying around with you such bowl, so that you always know how much you can only eat.

We live in a small apartment and the kitchen is much smaller than it used to. Reducing the amount of kitchen utensils I use helps reduce the dishwashing load. It helps reduce my domestic water consumption as well. Using fewer utensils helps preserve our environment.

The bowl needs some design improvements. To make it more useful as both plate and mug. To make it easier to grip. To make it more thermally insulating. I am obsessed to make it better. If I can make it better, would you be interested?

No comments:

Post a Comment