Sunday, July 17, 2011

USD 2.35


I have been in Jakarta for 2 months and have eaten out at least one meal each day out of convenience. I have tried prices from Rp. 5,000 to 100,000 per meal. Here in Jakarta, food quality is not proportional to price. I can squeeze food expense if I have ample food quality information, which means I have to be adventurous.

My equilibrium meal price that balances wallet, health, and taste seems to sit at Rp. 20,000 (USD 2.35) per meal in Jakarta.

I had bought breakfast and lunch meals for Rp. 7,000 from roadside food stalls in Jakarta. I accumulated a 50:50 record of upset stomach for that price but haven't gotten bad diarrhea yet (thankfully). The food was not bad or rancid, but I suspect there are food stuff used that are "too strong" for my stomach; they could be overused frying oils, food coloring agents, unsanitary water, fly infestation.

My observation was proven again today. I had vegetable-salad rice combo lunch (aka nasi pecel + tempe) for Rp. 10,000 in Denpasar (located in Bali island) and I felt nauseous 1 hour after that. (It was almost likely due to stale vegetable or peanut sauce.) Luckily I took Pepto Bismol from our Balinese friend whom we visited in Legian. I drank a lot of tea and it seemed to have helped. The symptom went away after 5 hours.

Denpasar's living cost is similar to Jakarta's. In other cities the equilibrium price could be lower due to cheaper cost of living. In Bandung, for example, I won't hesitate to eat a Rp. 15,000 meal. In Solo, I can safely eat out for Rp. 10,000.

If I approach the equilibrium price from the upper bound, there is no need to spend a Rp. 50,000 meal or above, unless in a business meeting.

I am clearly ripped off if I pay more than Rp. 20,000 in a roadside food stall. Furthermore, I feel I am being ripped off if I pay above Rp. 20,000 even if still below Rp. 50,000 at most restaurants. I usually pick the cheapest food at a fancy restaurant, and I can always find a Rp. 20,000 meal there.

The USD 2.35 equilibrium price is what Jakartans pay when they eat out including ice cold sweetened tea. I usually ask for hot unsweetened tea (at no cost) if the price is rather steep to stay at my equilibrium price target.

Overtime I could train my stomach to meet the chemico-physical demands of lower than USD 2.35, but I am reluctant to risking it now (having had two bad food poisoning cases last year).

Having said all of these, if you are ever stuck with little options and are hungry, pick a roadside food stall with the most costumers. The food there is likely more fresh. Pick also a safe bet: steamed rice and fried or BBQ chicken. Don't try hot chilli paste (sambal pedas) unless you have a death wish (LOL!).

No comments:

Post a Comment