Sunday, September 16, 2012

Risk Averse


1. I almost had a serious bike accident today because of three good things. I felt better after an episode of sore throat. The weather was great: sunny and 10 C. My bike was lighter because it's Sunday, so I didn't put panniers for books and laptop.

The three things that were supposed to help me enjoy my Sunday biking have caused me lose my guard. They gave an illusion that I was invincible. I felt great and therefore bad thing could not happen. I was wrong.

The bike's front tire hit the sharp edge between the asphalt and the concrete median when I moved to the left lane before an intersection. I lost my balance and the bike wobbled furiously. Luckily, I unclipped my left shoe fast enough to stop without falling. My right shoe was still attached to the right pedal though. It was a close call, uncomfortably close to cars on my right!

2. Biking has inherent life-threatening risks: (i) from other road users, (ii) from the cyclist, and (iii) from road conditions. From my experience, the largest risk comes from the second cause, i.e., myself.

If I am not physically prepared, then I shouldn't go out biking. But feeling too confident or too afraid is also dangerous. When I bike long-distance, I thus never think about the 100 km per day target, I think only about 2 hours ahead. I deal with the risks of 100 km per day target by bringing appropriate clothing, enough food, and learning bike repairs.

In other words, the long-term risks cannot be mixed with short-term risks. Long-term risks are managed by good preparations and deliberate planning. I prepare my family members for my possible death when I bike long-distance. I discuss with my wife steps to take when such possibility does occur. I tell my sons that I could die on the road when a vehicle hits me. I share with them what they need to do in case I die.

3. Taking risk is thus normal, when we understand and accept all possible consequences that may come. Becoming fully aware of all possibilities – good and bad – is actually a good thing.

Taking risk is habitual. The more I take risks, the easier it is for me to handle them as I become more experienced. I will be in a hospital today, sustaining serious injuries or worse, if I am a rookie cyclist.

The hardest part is thinking about all possibilities that can occur when an action is taken. This is when experience and knowledge help a lot. Taking risk is thus not the same as being ignorant.

No comments:

Post a Comment